Monday, March 18, 2013

Back to reality. Oh, there goes gravity! Part 2

So, I think this workout is going to be awesome. First thoughts are: Holy crap, this is hard. My arms are burning. My legs are burning. EVERYTHING IS BURNING. These stretches feel nice. This is going to be awesome...I feel it EVERYWHERE.

She suggested halving the reps for first-timers which, at first, I thought was asinine. I was all like, "I can do this! This will be a cake-walk!" But, no.

It wasn't.

Here's exactly what I did:

Warm Up (I did three rounds of this, and the suggested reps.)
50 jumping jacks
10 push-ups
10 air-squats

Stretches
30 second each side lunge stretch
60 seconds butterfly stretch
30 seconds dynamic arm swings
30 seconds wide arm circles forward
30 seconds wide arm circles backward

Workout (This is where I began to modify things, because I was already run down. I plan on working up to the full number of suggested reps, at it gets easier for me)
25 push-ups (suggested was 50)
40 lunges (count each leg)
30 sit-ups
20 air squats
10 burpees
30 second plank hold (suggested was 60, but at this point I could hardly hold myself up)

Sooooo, yeah.

It was hard.  But it felt amazing, truly and honestly.

Now, onto food. I'm trying to get back into making more of my own meals instead of just buying things from the store. My plan is to make a larger batch of something a couple nights a week when I don't work late, then eat those for lunch at work the next days. Right now I'm making a quiche. Quiche is one of my FAVORITE things to make because it's easy and you can put whatever you want in it. It's also an easy way to get rid of left over veggies you've had in your fridge for a while. Here's my easy-peasy recipe:

Preheat over to 425 degrees farenheit.
In a large bowl, whip up 6-8 large eggs with butter or milk. Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese of your choice. Today I used a Mexican blend because that's all I had in the fridge.
In a separate bowl, mix up your fillings. Today I used veggie dogs and broccoli, because that's about all I had. Add a little flour if your veggies contain a lot of water or if they were frozen and you thawed them, otherwise your quiche will turn into soup.
In a 9" round baking pan or quiche pan, spread your mix-ins evenly along the bottom. Pour egg mixture over the top.
Evenly distribute egg mixture between mix-ins. Sprinkle a little cheese on top.
Place baking pan on a larger cookie sheet (this is in case the quiche fluffs up a bunch and overflows, so you don't have a huge mess in your oven).
Back for 30-45 minutes, or until it is mostly set up. Take quiche out of oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes until completely set up (it will continue to cook for a little bit after you remove it from the oven).

Enjoy! I like to portion my quiche into 6-8 slices, depending on the size of the pan, and then refrigerate the pieces for a quick breakfast. It lasts for quite a while in the fridge, but I'd recommend eating it within a week or so of making it  otherwise it ends to get a little bit stale.

This version of the quiche is gluten-free (crustless!) and I've found it holds up just as well as any quiche with a crust. Like I said, you can put whatever you want in the quiche. It's particularly amazing with sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, and asparagus (which I think I'll have to make next!)

I'm planning on posting some more recipes in later entries. I LOVE cooking and I love adapting things to make them gluten-free and vegetarian. If you have a recipe that you need adapted to be vegan, gluten-free, or vegetarian PLEASE ask me! I'm no expert, but I have had a lot of experience adapting recipes to my lifestyle so I think I'm pretty good at it. :]

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment